Searching: getting started
Prepare your Internet Browser
- Faciliate access to full texts of articles from off-campus without having to go to the library website.
- Install the KUMC bookmarklet.
- Configure the Scholar settings of your Google account (if you have gmail) so that your library link is University of Kansas Medical Center. If you continue your training elsewhere, replace KUMC with your new institution.
- Install the "PubMed - KUMC" browser Search plugin (this adds the Find at KUMC Find It! icon to PubMed citations). If you continue your training elsewhere, ask you new librarians for this service.
- Install additional browser Search plugins. Do not install all of the many plugins available, but include:
- PubMed - KUMC facilitates finding full text (as noted above)
- Federated search engine: SUMSearch
- Textbooks online: UpToDate and Dynamed (the plugin only provides results; not a license to content)
- Drug information: DailyMed
- Faciliate quickly reading large documents (optional, but handy)
- If you use Google Chrome, its built-in search feature is good and indicates hits in the scrollbar.
- If you use Firefox, use this add-on: HIghlightAll.
- Internet Explorer and Safari do not support highlighting mulitple words in different colors or highlighting on the scrollbar.